EIT Climate-KIC is a Knowledge and Innovation Community (KIC), working to accelerate the transition to a zero-carbon, climate-resilient society. Supported by the European Institute of Innovation and Technology, EIT Climate-KIC identifies and supports innovation that helps society mitigate and adapt to climate change believing that a decarbonised, sustainable economy is not only necessary to prevent catastrophic climate change but presents a wealth of opportunities for business and society.
KCIC Consulting Limited (KCL) in partnership with Concree SAS are implementing the adaptation and resilience (A&R) themed accelerator in Africa programme for early to mid-stage start-ups from October 2022 to May 2023.
Funded by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade of Ireland (‘Irish Aid’), the A&R ClimAccelerator will support 16 teams from across the African continent with solutions that address physical climate risks or build the resilience of communities. The selected start-ups will receive tailored business coaching, professional guidance on finance, support defining the climate impact potential of their solution, and preparation for future investment opportunities.
This call will be open to applications from all African countries.
- Access to finance: The start-ups will receive a results-based grant of €2,500 to support streamlining operations, increasing efficiencies, and creating businesses with a positive climate impact.
- Business development services: tackling all aspects of the business from incorporation, management structure, governance structures, staffing, operations, business plan development and implementation, market plan development and implementation, financial management and accountability.
- Climate change mainstreaming: coaching and training on climate risk assessment and opportunity identification. Additionally, the start-ups will be supported in mainstreaming sustainability (environmental and social), as well as climate change adaptation and mitigation approaches into their operations.
- Mentorship support: The start-ups will receive one-to-one support to refine their business strategy, solve challenges and identify opportunities for sustainable growth.
The impact of climate change is felt around the world; from rising sea levels and storm surges along coastlines to more frequent flooding, drought and severe heatwaves affecting urban and rural communities worldwide. As a result, there is an increasing demand for new solutions and services that help to address these hazards, providing a huge opportunity for entrepreneurs in this growing market. A start-up qualifies for the Adaptation and Resilience ClimAccelerator if its product or services;
- Address ‘systemic’ barriers to adaptation by strengthening users’ ability to understand and respond to physical risks and impacts. and/or
- Contribute to preventing or reducing current and future adverse impacts on people, assets, economic activities, or nature caused by climate change.
The start-ups should demonstrate how their solutions address climate risks such as:
- Extreme temperatures (heatwaves)
- Extreme precipitation
- Drought and Unpredictable rains
- Cyclones, hurricanes, typhoons, or storms
- Sea level rise among others.
All the applications will be assessed by a team of judges/experts. The following criteria are required:
- Business must be incorporated in an African country.
- Should be incorporated for 5 years or less.
- For-profit entity.
- Adaptation and resilience solution.
N/B: The jury will seek evidence to substantiate any claims made, so provide any additional form of evidence within your application (testimonials, reports, videos, certificates, photographs, etc).