Position Title: Development Communication Associate
Type of Engagement: Full-time
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Reporting to: Development Communication Manager
Position Description: Development Communication Expert is a middle level position and reports to Dev. Comm Manager. The role is to deliver top-quality communications products and help build KCL’s profile in the international development sector. This is a cross-functional role and will work closely with projects and business development teams to support company growth through implementing a communication strategy aimed at positioning the company for business development. This position has scope to grow into an organisation leadership role in the career path progressively.
Marketing and Communication Roles
- Develop and implement a communication strategy that includes media outreach and social media content creation.
- Convert complex research, data, project reports into clear, compelling stories.
- Write and publish communications materials such as press articles, brochures, slide presentations, event materials, newsletters, reports, briefs, infographics, and factsheets in clear and simple language.
- Identify the right audiences and make sure the articles and other communication material reach them.
- Review and edit all design materials prepared.
- Interact with our clients to create impact stories and promote them through various events and communication strategies.
- Research, write, and prepare video scripts.
- Work with key internal role-players to brainstorm content ideas, in line with the company’s strategy and in support of various brand initiatives.
- Support and evaluate results of communication campaigns with the team.
- Develop customised messages and marketing materials for clients and partners.
- Continuously update the website and prepare appropriate content including staff bios, blog posts, news announcements, new wins, project closures etc
- Review and manage communication materials such capability statements, brochures, newsletters, reports, and banners.
- Coordinate the implementation of development communication strategy for the company.
- Develop innovative brand positioning initiatives like events, partnerships, appearances, and projects
- Work with the communication team in developing custom content for the target audience.
- Write and publish projects related articles on national and international newspapers and blogs.
Business Development Support
- Edit and review proposals by providing editorial review.
- Working with the design team to create graphics and visuals for proposals.
- Attend meetings to identify opportunities for proposal writing.
- Maintaining consistency in proposal writing by following company policies and client requirements.
- Perform research and analysis on competitors’ communication and marketing strategy.
- Support in internal training of BD and communication teams on development communication mechanisms.
- Identifying and recommend emerging trends and providing inputs on business communication.
- Maintaining timesheets for activities and work done
- Monitoring and evaluation of communication and marketing activities
- Ensuring compliance of company policies.
- University Degree in Mass Communication, Public Relations, Journalism or communication sciences. Advanced qualification in Development Communication is an added advantage.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, Google platforms, publishing, and other online collaboration tools.
- Min. 5 years’ experience in the field of Development Communication.
- Experience of working in the consulting industry is preferred along with working on donor related projects.
- Strong capabilities in writing, research, planning and time management, and organisation with a problem-solving orientation.
- Ability to produce high quality products quickly and efficiently with outstanding writing and editing skills, attention to detail.
- Solid knowledge of web production, social media and multimedia tools;
Excellent interpersonal communication and results-based programme implementation skills required;
- Strong communications approaches for planning, executing, and monitoring communications strategies.